Monday, January 9, 2012

Theatrefest 2012!

Last weekend, I got the opportunity to attend the Illinois High School Theatrefest. I was extremely excited and of course I thought it would be fun, but it was more than just fun, it was a really incredible experience. I got to spend fourty-eight hours exploring my passion-musical theater, being with friends and making friends with perfect strangers. There is something amazing about "theatre people". First of all, they are just about the friendliest people on Earth. We made friends everywhere whether just meeting each other around the campus or while washing hands in the bathroom. There was no judgement. Everyone was able to be who they are-be a little weird, but without the weird looks that typically follow. Instead, people offered hugs to complete strangers, danced in public as if there was honestly no one watching, and talked with new friends like the best of old friends. It's like a different world. A world where people can be honest and express themselves in any way they would like. If I had my choice that is the world I would live in, but unfortunately, on Saturday we all had to return to reality. To the real world where if you accidentally say "hi" to someone you don't know you are guaranteed a weird look, not an entusiastic response. Where you can't just ask anyone you meet to tie your shoe (honestly, that happened). It's too bad more people don't get to experience this.

No comments:

Post a Comment