Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Face of Hope

DUMBO
After a long, stressful first semester, I finally had a real weekend off, and by real, I mean no homework, no worrying about finals, just three and a half days to anything I wanted. So, I chose to volunteer for the animal shelter-an activity I love, but often can't find the time to do. I got to take a dog named "Dumbo" to an adoption event and show him off to hopefully aid in finding him a forever home. I have been volunteering for Orphans of the Storm for three years now and each time is it just as rewarding. The second they are on a leash, they can hardly contain themselves; they just know this is their shot. We take them to a store or some type of public place where they can be shown off and people can individually see some of the dogs that otherwise may not be noticed. Not only that, but it is a chance for hours of attention and love that they can't recieve all that often living at the shelter. It is an incredible opportunity not only for them, but for me and it has really added to my passion for animals, a passion I hope to one day persue in some shape or form. These dogs are truly amazing and they are the perfect display of what hope and trust look like. Even after being neglected, harrassed or simply thrown away they will give their unconditional love to anyone who is willing to return it, they will give you all their trust, despite being let down by humans time and time again, and they wait patiently for the day they find a forever home. As far as I'm concerned, we have a lot to learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment