Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Key to Life

This week, I heard a quote that really resonated with me. It is a quote by John Lennon and it goes like this, "When I was five years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life." I thought it was so cool that at five years old, this little boy already understood everything that's important in life because that's really all you need to know. You only get to live once, so it's important to do what makes you happy. After taking the PLAN test, I started thinking about colleges and jobs. I have always loved to perform, but at the same time, I felt like I needed a backup plan, something else that I can do if I am not able to go into musical theatre, but when I talked about it with my dad, he asked me only one question. He said, "Is this what makes you happy?" And I replied, "Of course." and he said, "Then why are you even thinking about it?" And I realized that whatever it is you end up doing, it needs to be that one thing you enjoy doing so much that you can't wait to get to work because it doesn't even feel like work. The greatest accomplishments come from the people who are so passionate about what they do that they don't stop at what is required or what is "good enough," but they have to keep going. Our world needs this kind of passion and it only comes from happiness, so I think John Lennon was right. We look too deeply into life, but in reality, there is only one thing that matters.

Photo Credits: http://www.johnlennon.talktalk.net/images/john_lennon.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I love that quote so much! I live by this motto: Do what you love and love what you do. In English class, my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I told her that I wanted to be a neurologist. She asked if I believed that everyday would be wonderful being a neurologist, and I told her that I did, because I would be doing something that I love. Even though days will get stressful, I'll enjoy it because it has always been my goal to become a doctor. I know that the stress coming from being a neurologist will be eustress, and it'll make me even more passionate about my job. I completely agree with you, and I loved that story you shared. If you want to perform, perform! I know you can do it if you put your mind to it! Keep reaching for those dreams!

    ReplyDelete